Friday, December 15, 2006

2nd Blog Summary

Well unlike my last blog summary I've decided that this time I would take it a bit more serious and try and do the best I can. So in reading the recent blogs I have found some interesting posts. For example, Nonsensical ramblings had a group of well...nonsensical ramblings. They didn't really have much to do with class but at the same time I found them very intriguing thoughts. Nonsensical discussed Christmas music and how it seems that only new artists and unheard of artists do Christmas music. I think this is true most of the time but most popular artists do at some point do a Christmas song or an entire CD. Nonsensical also wrote about the movie School of Rock(a great movie, you must see it) and the music in the background of TV commercials. I know that I have also done this, watched a commercial just for a song. I remember an ipod commercial last year that included a song called Vertigo by U2. I loved it when that commercial came on because I really enjoyed the song. Some other blog posts included a summary of Jamboree and the FYS class as a whole. The FYS review was a positive one and shone a great light on the program. The Jamboree one was a little more constructive. Not that it's a bad thing because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my opinion the Jamboree was a little bit of a downer yes, but it really only needs a little improvement to make it a blast. I also noticed how there were some recent posts about grades, including my own. I think that in cases like this you reap what you sow. You are only going to get as much out of the class as you put in. If you put in a A+ effort, that is exactly what you are going to get. If you put in no effort, you just wasted your time and you are not going to get those two credits that you should have been working to get. The last few blogs I will talk about included a blog about an extra credit paper about Kitty Wells and a post about country music. The Kitty Wells paper is actually about a song she did called "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels." I've never heard of this song but it has got to be an interesting one with a title like that. The last blog was about country music. Jweb posted about country music and how he really wasn't a big fan of it. He also discussed how he was glad to see that when we talked about country in class it was actually about old style country from the 30's, 40's, and 50's and not the quote "Hot country" music of today. Although country isn't my favorite type of music, new or old, I still think that people should offer the same chance to listen to every type of music and to enjoy it. Because even though you may not like a certain style of music there are people out there who do. All types of music, rap, pop, country, jazz, blues, heavy metal, and so on, are good in their own ways to different people. They can all be called good types of music because they all require talent to do and unless you can do whatever that musician does and do it better, you have no right to say that it is bad.
I would like to thank Mr. McPhee for a wonderful semester and I am glad to say that I took this class. Although at times I may have thought otherwise, now in the end I realize how much fun this class actually turned out to be. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: